Tuesday 12 May 2015

Batman Arkham Knight Scarecrow


I spotted this Scarecrow figure in Forbidden Planet, passed on it, but eventually caved and returned to pick him up. This is from DC Collectibles and is sculpted by Gentle Giant. The others in this first wave are Batman, Harley Quinn, Arkham Knight (who is released later this year) and, if you live in the USA you're lucky enough to also be able to pick up Red Hood from GameStop.

I loved Arkham Asylum (apart from the final Joker battle. It was fine, but a bit weird). I really didn't enjoy Arkham City, for me the open world took a lot away from what made Asylum so good.

Funny story about City: I traded in City as I, foolishly, bought it brand new. The guy at the store said (without a hint of humour or sarcasm) "didn't you love this game?! Swinging through city made you feel just like Spider-Man!" I just looked at him for a few long seconds and said "I bought it to feel like Batman though". He stared at me and said nothing. I don't think he fully understood what had just happened.

I didn't even buy Origins. But Knight is looking pretty good, and if these figures are anything to go by, I have higher hopes.

In packaging I loved the look of this figure. I loved the detailing, the sculpt work, and the overall look of Scarecrow - I was ready to be disappointed when he was out the box.


The only problem I initially had with this figure was the fact that I couldn't get this guy to stand! But after a while I got him to stand on his own wch, for me, made this figure even better.


Scarecrow comes with a brilliantly creepy mask which, I'm going to assume, is what his goons will wear in game. Pure speculation on my part though.

Articulation on Scarecrow is really pretty good. Firstly (and this is great!) Scarecrow's hood is attached to his head so it doesn't really hinder the neck movement which includes side to side and a little bit of tilt. The shoulders move up a little, my Scarecrow can't get his arms to 90 degrees, there's a bicep swivel, elbow bend and his hands turn 360 degrees.


Scarecrow has waist rotation, his hips move out, there's a thigh cut that rotates, single jointed knees and the feet move up and down at the ankles.

So there's not bucket loads of articulation but there's a good amount and the sculpted details and paint work really make this guy worth your money.

From the front, Scarecrow has fingerless gloves on both hands, and his right hand has his fear toxin injecting needles on the back. The detailing in the wrist piece is excellent too and painted with a nice metallic dirty grey. He's also wearing a knee brace - either he loves Stone Cold Steve Austin or he had a bad time being left alone with Killer Croc.


You can also see all of his extra vials of fear toxin (or blood?) on his chest and shoulders with pipes leading all around his torso, along with stitches, belts, buckles and pouches. And a personal favourite of mine: his boots are untied and the tongue of his right boot is hanging down.


From behind there's not quite as much going on, but it's still very cool. There are oxygen tanks which feed a pipe under his left shoulder and go straight into his mask. The tanks are nicely detailed and pained with very neat silvers and greys, you can see all the stitches in his hood and down his coat and you can see the split in his coat too.


Lastly, I just want to pint out how absolutely great Scarecrow's mask is. It's creepy, brilliantly sculpted and painted, and conveys a lot of character.


I would highly recommend this figure if you're into the games or you just collect figures from the Bat books. Here in the UK you should be able to get him sub £20 and I really do think he's worth every penny. He's creepy and sinister looking and I'm really happy to have him added to my Bat collection.


Go Figure!

No comments:

Post a Comment