Wednesday 24 September 2014

Marvel Select Ultimate Hulk


I love The Avengers. I thought the movie was brilliant, and I really like that the Marvel cinematic universe is using a lot of the look and feel of The Ultimates comics to bring their heroes to the big screen. So, being a toy collector, I decided I'd like to have my own Avengers team in poseable plastic form. The best part about building your own Avengers team out of toys is that you can have whatever Marvel characters you want - but personally, I'm sticking to personal favourites and characters that have been Avengers in the books. And the first recruit into the Go Figure Avengers is Ultimate Hulk!

I love green Hulk, but there's something really nice looking about grey Hulk. I decided to go with the Ultimates version of the Incredible Hulk for various reasons. Firstly, I like Hulk from The Ultimates universe. If you haven't already, I highly recommend reading Ultimate Wolverine v Hulk and Ultimate Human: Ultimate Hulk v Iron Man. Secondly, he's a great size! I'm hoping that ol' grey skin here is going to be in good scale with the rest of the team. And thirdly, this is an excellent looking Hulk figure!!

But firstly, the negatives.

What. On Earth. Is this?


It's kind of like a background for Hulk, one side with a massive hand on it (Giant Man?) and the other side with a wrecked city, with Wasp flying around. I mean, it really doesn't work.


Yep, it really is there. Behind Hulk. It just wasn't worth the bother!

But apart from the daft accessory, this is a really cool figure.


Articulation wise, he's not too bad. His head swivels left to right, his shoulders move up and down and swivel on a ball joint, his biceps are also on a ball joint so you can have his arms turned in a few different positions, and his wrists swivel. No waist articulation, but his hips rotate and swivel and his feet move up and down at his ankles.

Hulk isn't really here to be posed though, and not in my case anyway. He's here to look good and imposing, and he nails it. The sculpt, especially around the face, is great, but it's the paint that really makes Hulk pop.


Hulk is a nice light grey, with almost a red/brown dry wash to show off the details - like his massive veins, rippling muscles and creases in his face. His ripped jeans are a dark denim blue that are sculpted on with rips, belt loops and butt pockets (because Hulk has to keep his wallet somewhere) all sculpted on. A nice touch with the shorts is the small silver paint detail on the waist button which is popped open, being held up by Hulk's sheer size.



I really do like the look of this big guy, and he is big, standing at about 9" tall. Check out the face detail!


Admittedly his eyes are a little derpy.

But look at his hands and feet!


I also have a little 3.75" Wolverine. This isn't in scale at all, but it was quite fun!


stay tuned to see The Go Figure Avengers grow in strength!


Go Figure!

No comments:

Post a Comment